Boys Soccer

G-A roundup: Weber Long wins race

Long wins invitational: Greencastle-Antrim junior Weber Long got his cross country season off to a strong start Saturday when he took first place in Class AA at the PIAA Foundation Invitational at Hershey.

Long ran a time of 16:43 in the 5K race, which was just one second off of the time for the AAA winner.

The Blue Devils placed 12th as a team. Other scorers included Caden Hudson (31st, 18:40), Tommy Schemel (75th, 20:32), John Schemel (87th, 21:20) and Aiden Blankenship (92nd, 21:50).

The G-A girls competed in Class AAA and freshman Claire Paci made her debut with a fifth-place finish. Her time of 19:52 was the best time posted by a freshman in that race.

Greencastle 5, Big Spring 0: Viktor Heffner and Theo-Gerald Oreste each scored a pair of goals ad the Blue Devils looked strong in a season-opening game Saturday at Kaley Field.

G-A coach Arik Bruner said, “I thought for our first official game, we knocked the ball around pretty well. Viktor and Theo stepped up and put a few in the back of the net.”

Adam Murr scored and added an assist, and Oreste, Luke Montedoro and Preston Jackson each helped on one goal.

Goalkeepers Gavin Davidson (2 saves) and Ryland Zimmerman (1) preserved the shutout.

Bruner said, “I thought Adam Murr did a great job of controlling the midfield. Overall, it was a quality effort and something that we can build on.”

Boiling Springs 5, Greencastle 0: The Blue Devils opened their season against a tough opponent and fell to the Bubblers.

Reagan Eickhoff scored a goal and had two assists to lead Boiling Springs.

G-A coach Emiley Maiorana said, “Going into today’s game, we knew that Boiling Springs was going to be a tough team. The defense did a great job of holding them to a 2-0 game for the first 50 minutes.”

The Bubblers led in shots, 19-1, and in corners, 13-2.

Bishop McDevitt 2, Greencastle 1: In the second game of the Boiling Springs Tournament, the Blue Devils gave up the second penalty stroke goal of the game by the Crusaders’ Kiley Stoltzfus to break a 1-1 tie.

Abbi Cunningham scored Greencastle’s goal in the second period to tie the game, assisted by Blaire Trueax.

“I am very proud of how the team played today,” Maiorana said. “We played a solid 60 minutes of good hockey and worked as a team. The score doesn’t reflect on how well we played today.”